Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Red Knot Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 - I'd rather not!

Red Knot Cabernet WineMy first thought as I picked up this rather highly recommended Cab was "That's an interesting closure". My kids thought the top was "cool" when I put it on the table, and I have to admit, I was intrigued. The 'Zork' enclosure resembles an actual cork - so much that it actually pops when you open it.

Sadly, that's where the enjoyment ended.

As with most wines in this price range (Retail $12-$14, Paid $10.02), I expect to open the bottle and drink the wine. Unfortunately, Red Knot left a rather acrid knot in my throat on the first sip. Now, recognizing that my tastes could be off, I muscled through the first glass and poured another. Being so put off however, I found something else to do for about 30 minutes before I decided to taste it again. On the second taste, it definitely got better, but it still isn't anything I would recommend to anyone that enjoys wine even in the least bit. I will give it another try again and post an update when I do, but tomorrow I'm returning the other 2 bottles. The troubling thing is, with all the rave reviews this wine got, I really did expect better. Could this be just a bad lot? Not sure, but the next bottle will come from a different place - just in case.
Rating - GrapesGrapesGrapesGrapesGrapes

No comments: